Welcome

Welcome to Manopause--one man's experience of mid-life changes and the wild and wacky world of ageing gracefully. Bring your cane and join me here every day for another dose of levity and linament.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Framed

If older men do have a vanity, it may involve eyewear.  We don't want to come off looking like Clark Kent (or Elton John) nor do we pine for the eyewear worn by our grandmothers during a game of pinochle.  We want good solid frames, but we don't want glasses that give the appearance that we are wearing glasses.  In short, a vanity.

Time was I didn't need help seeing close-up objects.  As long as I could see what I was kissing, for example, I'd have a go at my wife.  Then my near-sightedness gave way to near-blindness and I discovered that I had been smooching a pillow for years.  This may explain my wife's feelings of distance and isolation, and why most of my wife's feedback was muffled.  That, and I can still taste the chicken feathers.

But I've made concessions.  I've now purchased several three-packs of Wal-Mart reading glasses, and as I write this blog I'm staring down at a pile of these cheaters--a preponderance of crumpled plastic that serves at-the-ready whenever I read a book or newspaper.

I can't imagine being blind, however.  How horrible it would be if I were unable to behold my wife's beauty, or my kids, or to gaze upon the pots of swill I cook up most evenings.  If I couldn't see, I wouldn't know how long to stir the mini-raviolis.  I'd have to write this blog by braille.  

Soon I will be blind as a bat.  I'll be like Stevie Wonder, calling up Becky every day to say, "I just called to say, 'I Love You' . . . and I mean it from the bottom of my heart."

There's not a pair of reading glasses out there that can save me from future embarrassment.  Just last week I was sitting in a college dormitory cafeteria, reading a book, glasses pressed down over my nose, and a beautiful young lady walked up to me and asked, "Is that a good book?"

I didn't know what to say.  I didn't remember I was reading a book, couldn't recall the title, and before I could get my glasses off and regain my bearings, she was gone.

I'm having the same problems at home with my wife.  I miss her a lot.  And every time I look up I'm staring at a pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment