Welcome

Welcome to Manopause--one man's experience of mid-life changes and the wild and wacky world of ageing gracefully. Bring your cane and join me here every day for another dose of levity and linament.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Can Dads Dance?

Photo:  Becky & Todd before Prom, 1978.

A few days ago it hit me:  I'm going to have to dance with my daughter at her wedding on Saturday.

Of course, I'm no stranger to the dance floor.  I was boogie-ing with the best of 'em back in the late 1970s and I had Saturday Night Fever long before the movie premiered. My voice was also a falsetto, like Barry Gibbs, and I loved the idea of Becky being more than a woman to me.  Becky knows this.  She went to the prom with me our junior year of high school (spring of 1978) and I ripped up the floor.  I also ripped out my white pants (which had taken on a yellowed tinge from so much nervous sweat).  This is why I spent most of my time at the prom watching a Don Knotts film, thinking my friends would make fun of me, assuming I had peed my pants when, in fact, I simply had over-active glands.

Naturally, the first thing my mother wanted to know when I got home was:  "Did you dance with Becky?"  Her second question was:  "Why did you pee your pants?"

This is something, however, that a seventeen-year-old male cannot explain to a mother's satisfaction.

I reminded my mother that, in addition to being president of the high school letterman's club and a solid "C-minus" student, I knew how to treat a girl to a really good time.  "There's more to the prom than dancing," I reminded my mother as I reached for a jug of Ajax and began scrubbing the crotch on my rental.  "There are also the intangibles: such as friendship, respect, athletics, honor, C-minus academics, and a really good lime punch with those little strawberries floating on top."

"You should marry that girl," mom told me.  "I like that Becky.  She's a good cheerleader, probably a virgin, and I don't think she'd let you get fresh with her.  In fact, I don't think she'd let you touch her . . . even after twenty years of marriage.  You have to respect a girl with such high standards for herself and such low expectations in men."

From that moment on I took mom's advice to heart and knew Becky was the girl for me.  If mom liked her, there must be something wrong with Becky, and I was certain that, if I worked hard enough, I would discover Becky's trashy side.

Naturally, I married Becky in order to find out.  (But this occurred after years of rejection from hundreds of other women who were not afraid to dance cheek-to-cheek with a pee stain.)

Now here we are--two old people on the cusp of our daughter's wedding--and my wife is once again giving me dancing tips.  She refuses to allow the showing of a Don Knotts film at the wedding reception.  I am not allowed to have a good time.  I cannot wear a white tux.  And she insists I double up on absorbent underwear.

"Is Dad a good dancer?" my daughter keeps asking my wife.  "Has he ever, even once, given you a good dipping?"

"Sweetheart," Becky tells her, "he's going to embarrass the stuffing out of you."

My wife may be correct.  But then again, I'll be wearing a dark tux.  That alone should make me look good on the dance floor.  And I've been practicing my dips.  God knows, I haven't dropped a girl yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment