Welcome

Welcome to Manopause--one man's experience of mid-life changes and the wild and wacky world of ageing gracefully. Bring your cane and join me here every day for another dose of levity and linament.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Ode to Andy

While watching late-night TV in a hotel room in New York, I learned about the death of Andy Griffith.  Griffith was 86 and certainly one of my favorite actors.  I was, after all, born the week (October 12, 1960) that The Andy Griffith Show premiered on CBS (October 8, 1960).  I grew up with Opie, Aunt Bee, Gomer, Goober, Floyd, Barney and good ol' Andy.

I don't remember the Griffith Show in first run, but the show has never been off the air since it premiered, and the AGS reruns were a huge part of my early memories and television entertainment.  At one time (long before the 8 seasons were produced in DVD format for sale), I had video-taped all of the episodes (249 total) by hand on VHS format over the course of several years.  I have led many AGS "Bible Studies" as well, and these were some of the best-attended studies I've conducted over the years.  I know most of the episodes by heart and can recite many line-for-line.

Many folks also don't understand how versatile an actor Griffith was.  He got his start in the movie, A Face in the Crowd, which was quite dramatic, and went on to become a gospel recording star (a Grammy-winner) and the star of a second successful show: Matlock.

I'll miss Andy (but I have most of his movies, TV shows, and CD's on my shelves).  Nevertheless, I've got to write a bit about him.  How about an Ode?  (And I have no idea what an ode is.)

Ode to Andy

Some people might balk at a sheriff
Who never carried a gun,
But you never seemed to care if
You had enough laughter and fun.

You had a son named Opie
But no wife or an ex
And though your show was hokey
You must have once had sex.

Of course the town was simple,
Though in its own way, wise.
And you dished out a heart-full
Like Aunt Bee dished out pies.

We loved your sidekick, Barney,
And Otis and the rest.
And though the show was corny
We felt that we were blessed.

We'll miss you, Andy Taylor,
And hope you rest in peace,
Though many still may pray for
More episodes like these:

That we'll dodge Barney's bullet
And laugh until we die
And meet you some day yonder
In that jailhouse in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment